So as Ash Wednesday has come and gone the whispers of Lent are all around. As I am in my Junior year of college now I've realized Lent has become a trendy thing here in the south. I have many friends observing Lent who are not necessarily Catholic or Protestant or any religion for that matter. These friends are searching for something. Something to hold them accountable for bettering themselves. Not in a selfish, competitive way but in a spiritual way.
When I was little, giving up chocolate seemed like the best thing I could do for Lent. And if I slipped up and had some M&Ms, my mom would say it's OK and tell me to think of something else not as hard. Now that I am (considered) an adult, I know that giving up something during the forty days of Lent is definitely not meant to be easy. Lent is a time of sacrifice. Sacrifice and thanksgiving.
I like to think of Lent as a second chance to attain a New Years' goal in a more foreseeable time-frame. Your sacrifice should be something that gives way to other goals that you've thought of but maybe not necessarily addressed. Like going to bed early. Going to bed early will make you have to be more organized and structured with your use of time. Then you will start to iron out your priorities and maybe cut out some bad habits like Facebooking well into the night. This ripple effect is what Lent is all about. Doing one small, difficult sacrifice that will better your whole self.
I'm giving up TV. I've noticed recently how I turn to the TV to calm me down when I'm stressed out or facing problems I don't want to deal with. Cutting TV out of my life will force me to turn to some other outlet when stressing over something petty. I'm hoping that outlet will be the Lord. But also, not watching TV will force me to find other things to do with my time. Instead of watching Glee, I'll be reading a book, or working out, or even blogging. All of which help me grow and better my whole self.
So I challenge you to find the right thing to give up this Lenten season. Here's another wonderful blog that can help with some ideas.
11.3.11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment