I went back to Knoxville this weekend for a medical benefit I helped with (the proceeds went to the Haiti Outreach Program). The benefit featured Dr. Louise Ivers (from Partners in Health), Dr. Pierre-Marie Medor (Medical Director of St. Michel Hospital in Haiti), and Mr. Billy Stair as guest speakers and Mr. Hallerin Hill as master of ceremonies. Each one gave their personal touch to the same message: Haiti needs us and Boucan Carre needs the St. Michel Clinic.
At one junction between speakers, Hallerin Hill was filling time with his wonderful presence and said something that has stayed with me since. He was talking about a movie, Shine. He summarized the story line for us all and then pointed out a major theme of the movie. Unconditional love. Such a difficult theme to describe and yet Hill did it with easy, graceful words. He said it is like a pitcher you give to someone. But once you have given it, you break off the handle and can never take it back. Unconditional love is something that can never be forced or forged. It is so hard to give away and so easy to take for granted. I could only think of God’s love for me, and all His people. I don’t mean to sound cliché, but it’s true. How can He accept us all for everything that we are, good and bad, and completely, unconditionally love us?
After the dinner and all the speeches, I had the honor of talking to Dr. Ivers personally… well, with a few friends too, but still just a handful of people. Her and her husband’s fearless attitude reminded me of a good friend (I hope you know who you are). It’s these fearless people who are the most successful in whatever they do. They take a crazy idea and say “sure! Let’s do it!” These people inspire me and I am truly grateful to have their influence on my life.
I am definitely not a person who wears my faith on my sleeve. A few of my family members might be that way but this is where I am much different from them. I have always been a religious person; I just like to keep it to myself. But after hearing Hallerin and Dr. Iver’s words I cannot help but feel moved.
Driving home I was listening to a Train song that I’ve heard many times before but this time it was different. It goes…
“When I look to the sky something tells me you're here with me
And you make everything alright.
And when I feel like I'm lost something tells me you're here with me
And I can always find my way when you are here.”
Train has never seemed SO true as it did right then.
Love doesn’t come from hookups or liquor’s buzz. Completely 100% unconditional love comes from the one and only. He is there when no one else is. He connected the dots for me and pointed me down the right path. I have never felt so motivated and passionate about something in my entire life. I want to serve others. I want to impact the world in the greatest way I possibly can. Peace corps here I come.
I love this. Beautifully written, of course - and so touching. Great post Angela! I'm so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteloooveeee you :)
ReplyDelete